10385 Shadow Oak Drive,
Chatsworth, CA 91311
Chatsworth Historical Society Digital Archives
Chatsworth Historical Society Digital Archives, Chatsworth, CA
In 1911, a paper started in Van Nuys, known as the Van Nuys Call. In Dec 1912, the residents of Owensmouth were glad to have their own weekly newspaper, called The Owensmouth Gazette. In 1926, publisher David Carlson built a building for the newspaper at 7228 Remmet Ave; the building still stands today. In 1931, with the town of Owensmouth changing its name to Canoga Park, the newspaper, too, changed its name to the Canoga Park Herald, which was published until 1956.
Catherine Mulholland, author of the book, "The Owensmouth Baby," became "aghast and angered," to learn that the last owner of the Canoga Park Herald, formerly the Owensmouth Gazette, had disposed of nearly all the paper's back issues for more office space shortly before the paper closed.
Edgar Rice Burroughs of Tarzan fame, lived in the community he named Tarzana. He collected the Owensmouth Gazette. He reviewed each edition and excised any articles referencing Tarzana. The excisions were expertly done and did not affect rear facing articles (generally advertising only). Most newspapers have no excisions.
The Burroughs estate sent the newspapers to the Huntington Library in San Marino for the purpose of preservation in the form of microfilm. The microfilm was presented as a gift to California State University library at Northridge, CA. The newspapers were then sold to a private collector.
The weekly newspapers cover news of the western half of the Valley and other major Los Angeles City news events. Below are the 334 issues of the Owensmouth Gazette available on microfilm at the CSUN library. The dates range from Nov 1916 to Nov 1923. The comments below highlight articles in each edition relating primarily to Chatsworth History.